Bethiboo and Tico Freako...

My first time playing florist...

When my dear friends Beth and Gabe were getting married, they did everything in their power to keep things cost-effective. Beth was paying for the wedding, and as a full-time student, that made low cost a top priority. To that end, they tapped all of their skilled friends. A friend of theirs, Jason Hewitt, is a professional photographer, and lent his talents. Another friend made their wedding cake. The bride's parents hosted the event in a rented tent in their back yard.

Knowing that I am into a wide variety of artistic pursuits, Beth asked me if I had ever done wedding flowers. I told her my experience with flowers basically extended to bouquets from mom's garden for the dining room table. She said that was more than she had, and asked me to be her florist. More than a little daunted, I agreed.

A tomboy, Beth usually wears jeans, t-shirts, sweaters, lip rings, and accessories reminiscent of the 80's, so some of us were quite curious to see what she would come up with. She chose a simple halter style dress with a triple stripe of subtle sparkle highlighting the bodice and hemline.

She put her girls in a bright blue and chose flowers in shades of pink, red, yellow, orange, and white, keeping consistent with her bright, punk-infused style. She also encouraged her ladies to bring their personal styles to bear, giving them options of which dress style they preferred, and having me customize each bouquet. While each girl had all of the colors in her bouquet, some preferred more orange, or more pink, and I did my best to be accommodating.

Gabe's best man was another close friend of mine, Ian, whose wedding I later did flowers for... while posing for pictures with his best man (above) the groom's boutonniere met with untimely demise.

Photography in this entry by Jason Hewitt

No comments: